Service Commands

From: David Miller (dmiller@dampsets.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 10:37:54 PST

Hello All!

I'm in the midst of restoring a WC-53 Carryall. Curious as to what markings
were on the rig originally, I did some sanding in the "usual" places, doors,
hood, etc. Bumper markings were obliterated, but did I uncover a 7 point
star on the passenger door, which I soon learned placed it in the Seventh
Service Command. I know the 7th SC was HQ'd in Fort Omaha and serviced the
northern plain states. So anyway all of this has piqued my interest. I know
nothing about the Service Commands, but I assume that they were responsible
for supply. In searching the internet, I've come up with very little. Which
brings me to the point of this thread.

I'm trying to find information regarding the various Service Commands that
were active during WWII. I'm planning to put together a web site devoted to
these men and women who served our country and as far as I've been able to
determine, have received very little recognition. At least not on the
internet.

Specifically I'd like to learn what the Service Commands were responsible
for, what their various duties were. I'd also like to hear any personal
stories and humorous anecdotes. So basically I'm interested in anything
related to the subject.

My personal interest is in the 7th Service Command because of the
relationship to my Carryall. But I'm also interested in the North West
Service Command responsible for building the Alcan Highway, and the 8th
Service Command because a friend is also restoring a Carryall that was
assigned to this unit.

And lastly, as you've probably already guessed, I'm not a writer or a
historian. I'm simply a guy who's restoring a WWII Carryall that was
assigned to the 7th Service Command. I went looking for info and found very
little. Maybe we can do something about that. Also if you are a writer and
would like to collaborate on this project, please contact me. I must stress
that this is a nonpaying project, this site is merely to share information
and stories.

If you, or any one you know served with a Service Command during WWII,
stateside or overseas, please contact me at dmiller@dampsets.com

David Miller
WC-53
MVPA# 21371