Re: [MV] M49 fuel tanker question--CDL

From: Richard C. Burrell (miltrkr@concentric.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 19:15:00 PST

> Hi List

i live in California and own a M35A2 with historical plates and according to
a highway patrol friend i do not need a CDL . in CA. when a vehicle is
registered as a historical vehicle it does not have a weight anymore it
falls into the automobile class.
since all autos in CA. are classed under 6,000 lbs the third axle is not
relevant. the air brake part is a gray area, the truck is a hydraulic brake
system just has a air booster. 99% of an air certification is for a full air
brake system., which does not relate to a deuce system. i used to carry a
class 1 license for years. and i do believe every one owning heavy trucks
should get experience driving these types of vehicles and a CDL is an added
plus but in my case not a requirement. but as Mark stated every state has
differences you need to read a copy of your states vehicle code and ask a few
troopers or state police they know more about this end of the laws, city cops
don't seam to be as knowledgeable on vehicle code (no offense to you city
cops) just a personal observation.
my $0.02
Richard Burrell
MVPA #20227