Re: [MVlist] To CDL or not to CDL that is the question

From: Bill George (primemover@2xtreme.net)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 17:30:24 PST

I was told by one California Highway Patrol officer that I would not need a
CDL for my M35. Then another says that I do, both of these guys were the
commercial cops! Neither one of them could back up their answer with any
fact, and when I asked the one guy who said I did not need one if he could
put that in writing, what answer did I get??? What if I'm actually wrong?!?
Kinda scary when the people who are supposed to enforce the laws don't even
know for themselves! But as Mark Blair pointed out, the motor vehicle code
does clearly state in CA a CDL is required vehicles over 6K# GVW that have
three axles. This would include Gama Goat and others as well. The best
thing to do is go out and get a CDL, it's not that hard. Somebody said take
a day and go out and get one, it does take a bit longer than that, you have
to go get a physical $40, then go to DMV for the written test for the permit
$$, and if I remember right you have to have the permit for two months
before you can get the actual driving test $$. So make sure you get plenty
of practice, if you fail it =$$ again!
Bill
Real trucks don't have spark plugs!