Re: [MV] [MVlist] To CDL or not to CDL that is the question

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 00:10:41 PST

Since this topic keeps coming up, I've done some searching and found
references to CA Vehicle Code sections which I felt were particularly
applicable to owners of many types of HMVs in CA. If you're not
interested in CA laws, please skip the rest of this message. I'll try
to keep this brief for those of you in digest land.

The CA Vehicle Code is readable and searchable at this URL:

    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

Here are some applicable section numbers:

12804.9(b)(2): Spells out the requirement to have particular license
classes for particular vehicles. Specifically, section
12804.9(b)(2)(B) requires a class B license for vehicles with 3 or
more axles and a GVW over 6,000 pounds (such as 2.5-ton 6x6 trucks).

5201, 5204, 24601: mounting and lighting of license plates.

24606: backup light requirement.

27150: muffler requirement; cutouts prohibited.

5004: defines historical vehicles, requires special plates to be
issued on request, imposes use restriction, and specifically states
that they are NOT exempt from sections 26709 (mirrors and rear
visibility), 27150 (mufflers), and 27600 (mud flaps, fenders, etc.).

9400: weight fees; section 9400(d) exempts Historical Vehicles from
them.

26700: windshield requirement.

25804: lighting exemption for vehicles made prior to 1/1/1946.

One reference which I could not find was the one which exempts
Historical Vehicles from stopping at truck scales. Can anybody fill
this one in?

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/