Re: [MV] It's alive! (again!) Blazer

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 18:52:58 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stu Ellis" <stuellis@mediaone.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 9:33 AM
Subject: [MV] It's alive! (again!) Blazer

> Hi all!
> Well, it runs, it starts and it drives.
> 1. I installed glow plug button to energize plugs by hand.
> 2. Installed electric fuel pump and all new rubber lines.
> It seems the electric pump cures the drain back. I hooked it to ignition
> switch so when I put key in on position, the pump starts pumping. This re
> primes system and keeps pumping fuel past injection pump back to tank,
> getting rid of any air that may or may not be there. I let it run for the
> 7-9 seconds I am energizing the glow plugs before starting.
> It start's great even cold. I put in a 12v 5 1/2-9 lbs - which is the
> higher pressure one) electric fuel pump and bypassed old one. I ran fuel
> line in loop(in to out) of old pump and put diesel in the line before
> clamping clamping them down tight.
> So far I am a happy camper!!
> Next up- get NOS transmission I have coming installed.

I did the same thing on one of the company's earliest CUCV purchases, an
M1010 amb, after getting some good advice from our diesel rebuilder to not
bother toying with the manual pump if it's suspect. Strange thing is, after
installing the electric pump - and solving the hard-to-start problem - I
*then* discovered that the reason it was hard to start in the first place
was due to a cracked steel line where it leaves the frame-rail on the
pass.side around the wheel-well.

The rebuilder fellow told me not to leave the old hulk of the manual pump
cycling away on nothing but air for too long, and to replace the pump with a
blanking plate that GM evidently sells (seeing as though the latter 6.2's
and 6.5's supposedly all have the electric pump anyway.) You'd probably
want to remove the frustrating little steel piston that operates the pump
lever as well, just in case it somehow winds up somewhere it isn't supposed
to (though that may be impossible - better safe than sorry.)

Cheers,

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.
(and you've just reminded me that I've forgotten to do exactly that on the
damn 1010)