Re: [MV] Fw: CDL etc etc etc.

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 22:53:14 PST

"Timothy Smith" <timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Stopping at weigh strips (necessarily or un-necessarily) is a good idea. At
> worst, if you don't need to be there, the scale personnel are merely annoyed
> and will flag you through. Not stopping (if you are not sure) is a BAD idea
> and scale personnel (if they want you) WILL send out a nice Trooper to
> invite you back! When in doubt.....pull in.

Ok, this touches on a topic that I've wondered about. According to DMV
and CHP, California exempts vehicles with Historical Vehicle plates
from needing to stop at scales (*). I called up CHP's Commercial
Enforcement division a year ago while I was trying to figure out what
I had to do legally drive and register my 2.5-ton van in CA. The
officer with whom I spoke said that I might get a CHP car tailing me
after blowing by a scale, but that it would probably wander off after
its driver saw the HV plate. Other mil vehicle drivers I've spoken to
have told me that they seldom attract any attention from law
enforcement officers, who may assume they're military unless they
happen to notice the presence of license plates, or may just recognize
them as the local oddball who drives around in a big green truck.

So, when I visit another state in my CA-registered Historical Vehicle,
with my CA class A CDL, should I stop at their scales even though I'd
blow by a CA scale without blinking? Having never stopped at a
mandatory truck scale before, what should I expect?

(*) Although DMV literature and the CHP officer at Commercial
Enforcement with whom I spoke both say vehicles with Historical
Vehicle plates don't need to stop at scales, I wasn't able to find the
CA Vehicle Code section which creates that exemption. Can anybody fill
in the blank?

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/