RE: AM-2060 draining battery when power switch off

From: Ned Parkes (sparkes@fast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 04:38:16 PST

I'll try to make this short but include all pertinent info.

In November I took my CUCV off the road for a few months. It was in my
garage with the batteries connected. In January I went to start it to
take it for a little run and the batteries were DEAD, I mean like about
3 volts each. I had taken the radios out for the winter but left the
AM-2060 in the MT-1029 mount, not thinking that could do any harm. I
made sure that both the power and speaker switches on the AM-2060 were
turned off..

Anyway, I charged the 2 batteries and when I connected them up again I
heard the motor in the MX-6707 antenna tuner turn like I had turned the
antenna tuner switch on the AM-2060. I checked the switches again on
the AM-2060 and they were off. It appears that even if the switches on
the AM-2060 are off there is voltage applied to the antenna tuner
circuit...enough to eventually drain the batteries. In the summer
months this wasn't a problem since I used the truck often enough to
charge the batteries. It wasn't until the truck sat for awhile that the
batteries drained.

Does anyone know if in fact power is always applied to the antenna tuner
circuit of the AM-2060 even if the switches are off, or might there be
something wrong with my AM-2060 or the way I have connected everything
together.

Thanks for any help,
Ned Parkes