Re: [MV] M1 Carbine

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 11:18:58 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <bolton8@juno.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2001 7:01 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] M1 Carbine

> Would one of our esteemed Canadian listers please confirm or debunk, the
> following tidbit which I received from an associate of mine in
> Mississauga Ontario:
>
> "The Canadian government has declared all nonoperational, non-firing
> DEWAT display firearms as 'prohibited weapons' and therefore severely
> restricted and/or illegal to possess."
>
> Somehow this sounds so ludicrous that it may be true. If it is the
> truth, how did such a restriction come about? Thank you in advance for
> your assistance.

One more thing in addition to my other post. Let's say you have a nice pile
of Bren parts, but your receiver is hacked up beyond belief. You purchase a
replica receiver from someone like Aardvark or Sarco or whoever and
reconstruct your Bren for display on your Universal Carrier. 'Course, your
barrel's still been TIG'd to death and wouldn't pass so much as wind, and
the weapon's been welded to prohibit disassembly, but would the fact it has
a replica receiver bureaucratically deem it a replica, or a dewat?

I'm sure Ottawa wanted to ban dewats right alongside replicas, and for the
same specious reasoning, but someone must've pointed out that if owners of
'heirloom' weapons now falling within the proscribed categories didn't have
an 'out' to allow them to retain their artifacts (i.e., weld them up), then
the howls of protest would've been that much louder. I truly think that's
the _only_ reason we're still allowed to possess dewats, much to the chagrin
of our founding fathers. And voters.

Cheers,

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211