Re: [MV] Tow bar source?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 07:10:30 PST

I've received several replies by private email. I hope nobody minds,
but I'll reply to most of them in one shot, here on the list. I figure
that this is a good topic to air out on the list, and deposit in the
list archives. I'll answer any "I've got such-and-such for sale" stuff
privately.

Matt Tait wrote:
> I think the "small" type will work fine for moving the HMMWV or a deuce on
> the road. It should also be safe if used on tarmac like you describe for a
> five ton wrecker. The small size is the only size that is easily handled by
> one person.

I think the small type is what I want for my current application:
moving disabled trucks from HMMWV to 5-ton at low speed (5-10 MPH or
so) on tarmac for short distances, and maybe flat-towing my HMMWV with
my deuce the next time it decides to break down. I could always
upgrade to a medium tow bar if/when I get a wrecker, or even keep the
lighter tow bar around for smaller jobs. I don't have a 1/4-ton or
3/4-ton truck at this time, but maybe I will someday.

Bruce <RKubu@aol.com> wrote:
> By the way, these M543A2s are not good for towing trucks at highway
> speeds. I am not sure what you plan to do with it.

Why are they not good for towing at highway speeds?

My plans, from high priority to low:

1. Big Tonka Truck to play with

2. General-purpose crane

3. Tow one of my green trucks home when it breaks down. Hmm, what do I
   do when the wrecker breaks down? Buy another wrecker? :-)

4. Pull my own truck home from DRMO someday!

DDoyle9570@aol.com wrote:
> There are several types of tow bar ends....one of these is reversible,
> so that one end with fit either size (2 1/2 + or 3/4 ton) shackles,
> don't use one of these! Uncle Sam dropped them because they have a
> tendency to break.
>
> A complete set should have (from memory)
> 1 towbar
> 1 set of ends for 3/4 ton trucks
> 1 set of ends for big trucks
> 1 set of ends with roller chain (to attach towbar to axle)
> 1 set of adapters for M880 etc.
>
> There may be more, but that is all that comes to mind.

Do the light tow bars have the same collection of ends?

Recovry4x4@aol.com wrote:
> The NSN for the common 5 ton is 4910-00-433-7094. I think the capacity
> on this bar is about 40,000#. This can fit about anything up to a
> 5-ton. May as well get one of these if you can. It can do both small
> and big jobs. When I put mine on I do it one leg at a time since I
> dont have a batallian to lift it.

Yeah, that's the NSN I pulled out of the 5-ton truck manuals. Does
anybody have the NSN(s) for other towbar sizes? I think the smaller
towbar will be better for my current (no wrecker) needs, as long as it
can connect to 2.5-ton and 5-ton shackles for low-speed pulling on the
tarmac.

Several folks have responded that they have for sale, or know where to
buy, various tow bars. The descriptions all sounded like medium tow
bars to me. I think I'll wait a day or three before I start responding
to "for sale" messages, so I can make sure I know which towbar and end
parts I'll need.

Thanks for all of the great replies, folks!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/