Re: [MV] Towing lifted

From: John Souza (John.Souza@ci.fresno.ca.us)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 18:59:44 PST

The biggest problem towing a vehicle behind a military wrecker using a towbar to the axles and the wiffle tree to the towing shackles on the bumber, is that you CAN'T turn. I have looked at the manuals, talked to people who swear they did it when they were in the military. I don't care, you can't turn. That is the way you are suppose to tow with the front end of the disabled vehicle off the ground. But, the pivot point are in two different planes. The hook from the wrecker that is attached to the wiffle tree pivots on the front bumper and the tow bar pivots at the rear of the truck. You have to use the tow bar to keep the towing truck from slamming into the rear of the wrecker. And it will surely mess up the hood and grille of the towed truck if it doesn't have a winch, to give that extra space between the bumber and grille. I have done it. The flat tow is the easiest and safest with all drivelines on the towed vehicle dropped. Why wouldn't you want to drop the drive lines? Less power required to turn all those gears.

When towing a truck, remember that you try and hook into the brake system on the towed vehicle. The 5 tons have glad hands on the front for that purpose. The CHP will not be happy if he catches you towing a 13,000 + lb trailer with no brakes....I don't think he'll care how fast you are going either...

John
MVPA #2697

P.S. Don't forget to use a saftey chain with that towbar.

>>> Joe Shannon <fordpart@bellsouth.net> 02/27/01 18:14 PM >>>
One of the problems this causes is the wheels always steer all the way
to one side and this is mighty hard on the steering nuckles and hard on
every thing else if one locks up.

To switch to the DIGEST moe, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>