Re: [MVlist] Zen restorations

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 09:14:44 PST

TJ is right on the mark for most of us. The PROCESS is as much, if not MORE
fun than the end result. I've restored/refurbished several jeeps and
trailers and other assorted toys. What I always find at the end of the
project is an emptiness. Actually, as the light appears at the end of the
tunnel, I typically start thinking about "what's next?" My wife believes I
am a lunatic when one project is nearing completion, I usually have dragged
another one home.

While I really enjoy playing with my GPW (only one I've kept), I actually
have found I prefer WORKING.

Potential restorers should consider their ultimate purpose. It is the
PROCESS or the end result you look forward to. If the end result is more
important than the process, you had better look at spending the most money
upfront to get a vehicle that requires minimal work. If you enjoy the
process, you will most likely be happy buying the basket case project many
find "unrebuildable."

When I purchased my GPW, it was a basketcase. I heard all the comments TJ
mentioned. Soon, I began to tear her apart. I realized LOVE IS BLIND. Yep.
  I was loving every minute of working on her and didn't see the terrible
condition as insurmountable. I saw it as a challenge and couldn't keep from
throwing myself into the restoration 100%.

I worked every opportunity. At lunch, I'd head to my shop and clean up a
small part or two. That afternoon, I'd prime it. Weekends were all day
affairs. I was totally absorbed in the process. I wasn't working towards a
deadline, I was working HARD simply because I was enjoying what I was doing.
  I enjoyed seeing the vehicle transform from a pile of rust/junk into a
restored piece of history. Watching the progress over the weeks and months
was a real adrenaline rush. In 8 months, I finished a frame up restoration.
  When it was all said and done, I enjoyed driving and showing off my GPW,
but it just wasn't as fulfilling as working on it. Within weeks of its
completion, my restored M-38A1 left the stable to make room (and provide
funding) for
an M-38 that needed me. I was back in action within hours.

I will admit, hearing the engine run for the first time is quite inspiring,
as is the first drive.

Unfortunately, since moving from Oklahoma to Texas, I don't have the space
to work and the projects are on hold. I hope to get my GPW home and into
the garage soon so I will at least have something to tinker with. There is
ALWAYS something to work on.

Jim Rice
San Antonio, TX