Re: [MV] [MVlist] Towing

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 14:19:12 PST

while convoying down I75 one morning the duce in front of me pulled over and
I followed. It seems the water pimp gave out and was hitting a bracket
making a pinging noise. Of course no one had a spare water pump on the side
of an interstate highway and we were pretty much out in the middle of
nowhere.
 I was in my M-561 gamma goat the second biggest vehicle in the convoy and I
had a tow bar! Hero huh ? so I hooked up to the duce in an attempt to pull
him home. Stupid.

The Goat couldn't get up enough speed to get out of third gear and when
turning the Duce would pull the rear of the goat the opposite direction. Not
fun.
We decided to pull in a straight line to the rest area (luck for us only
about 8 miles away) instead of leaving it on the side of the highway. I
drove him home and the next day we returned and I replaced the water pump.

Lesson learned...... Never try and tow a vehicle that out weighs you, it
could get exciting real quick.

Regards
Emmett