RE: [MV] Pleading Ignorance

From: Rikk Rogers (rkltd@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 21:20:43 PST

I cant comment on the damage to the system itself from "just towing" because
I don't yet understand it well enough.
However, consider the physics of it, the distance around an M35 tire is
something around 10' this works out to 8 Revolutions Per Second(RPS)at 60
mph, and I'm guessing the weight in the tire/wheel will be over 200lbs.
If I'm doing the math right the math right this works out to 200lbs moving
at 88 Feet Per Second (keep in mind, i'm just guessing, if you want to do
the math for real I would be interested in the real #s).
2 things will happen if you "clip" something,
1.Based on weight the object you clip will move / take damage, less weight
means more motion / more weight means (car) more damage (something has to
move).
2. In the (Sprague) system it self the sudden change in force at the point
of "clip" will tend to cause shearing and fracture,
And, what happens within the system if the front wheels move substantially
faster than the rear (like a flywheel)?

The situation with the spinning wheel is the essence of Lockout Tagout rules
in industry, the wheel spinning is stored energy.
How much damage could it do in an "uncontrolled release".

If you cut the speed in 1/2, your only dealing with 200lbs+ at 44fps.

Rikk Rogers - RK Lion LTD.
(580)762-3157 rkltd@swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/rkltd/
-M35A2- MVPA -22345-