Re: [MV] NEW FROM CHRYSLER-BENZ

From: Greg (czechsix@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 01:40:11 PST

> >I heard on the news today that Daimler/ Chrysler will be marketing the
> >UNIMOG truck as a new SUV here in the US soon. It will be redesigned for
> >this market and will cost somewhere in the 80-90K range. Anyone heard
> >anything along these lines or am I dreaming it?
>
> You heard right, although I think the cost will be lower. This thing is
> HUGE and HEAVY. Something like 12,000 - 13,000 lbs heavy!

actually, the cost will be higher. No one seems to have mentioned that this
84K estimate for the vehicle is for the stripped version - Cab and Chassis
only. Add in all the crap that they have on that silly U-400 and I promise
you'll find it's over 100k and probably closer to 125K. Initially they were
going to bring in the U-400, but they've backed off and are now bringing in
the U-500. What's that mean in regular talk? I think the U-500 GVWR is over
30,000 pounds. Which also means it's going to need a commercial license to
operate.

Basically the marketing types at Freightliner blew it, but the comment that
the VP at DB made didn't help things at all. Not to mention the
Freightliner (pres?) at the truck show mentioning the Unimog - and as usual
not knowing what the hell he was talking about.

Regards,
Greg