Re: [MV] Military Vehicle Magazine

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 04:40:42 PST

I have gotten a few off-line mild "flames" about my post concerning my
position.
Please allow me to clarify.....
As I thought I said, I like the mag in general....there is occasionally an
issue I don't care for, but they as a rule are good.
I like Dave...this is not a reflection on Dennis, he is a great guy too.
I like the new slick feel of the magazine, and its expanded size, HOWEVER it
seems that since Krause took over the ads are growing at a far greater rate
than the actual text. MAYBE the rate of article submission isn't keeping up,
or MAYBE the new owners have limited the size of the issue, and paying
advertisers come first. This is scary because I don't want to buy a magazine
which consists entirely of ads....on several counts....
A) if it is 100% ads, it ought to be free...the local swap paper is free, and
its 100% ads.
B) most of the ads are repeated month after month....I can find a back issue
if I want to know the latest Beachwood price on NOS canvas.
C) a large portion of the ads are of no interest to me....I don't own a Jeep,
I don't reenact, etc....there is nothing wrong with either of these
endeavors, but if in your mind you eliminate those ads, why would I want to
pay 4 bucks month after month for the ads that are left?

I once read a real nice magazine called "Mobilia"...beautiful, slick color
mag, with lots of well written, informative articles. Was bought by Krause
(same folks who own MV now), merged into another publication, and now is only
slightly better than the local community colleges newspaper. Lots of ad fat,
very little editorial/informational meat.

As for the content of the articles themselves, if you don't like reading
about the subjects in MV, write an article you find interesting and submit
it. It'll probably get printed, and others I'm sure will enjoy it too.

My .02,
David Doyle