Re: [MV] Towing MUTT

From: Jim Wiehe (j.wiehe@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 13:48:35 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "chance wolf" <timberwolf@wheeldog.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 13:14
Subject: Re: [MV] Towing MUTT

> *Don't* take the driveshafts out of the 151 unless you have devised some way
> of making sure the bits left sticking out of the transfer case don't fall
> out on the roadway. Nothing holds them in except the presence of the
> driveshaft, which, unfortunately, I found out the hard way once after doing
> an 'emergency repair' by dropping the rear shaft and driving home on the
> front one. One transmission later, and I'm a bit wiser (cog fell off,
> hypoid leaked out - bank account leaked out too.)
>
> The film company I work for flat-tows them short distances without any
> unpleasant side-effects (some have a tendency to track improperly on
> corners - something easily solved with a handy bungee-cord and a few
> well-chosen swear words), but I believe the manual sets a limit on just how
> far you can do that before having to go to a two-wheeled dolly arrangment or
> something that gets at least two of the wheels off of the ground. I don't
> have it handy or I'd have a look.
>
> Andy Hill
> MVPA 9211
> Vancouver, B.C.

Andy and all,
                    TM9-2320-218-10 ( Aug. 1978 ) for the 151 series vehicles
does not mention any speed or distance that the various tow operations use.
It does mention various procedures to be followed for different types of
breakdowns.
                    It should be noted that TM9-4910-496-10 says to only use
a maximum speed of 20 MPH. over primary and secondary roads.
This is for vehicles up to and including 5 ton trucks.

Jim Wiehe , VA3JHW
mail to : j.wiehe@sympatico.ca