Re: [MV] M-54 Convoy Gun Trucks

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 17:42:04 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave" <b52d@southwind.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 4:02 PM
Subject: [MV] M-54 Convoy Gun Trucks

> I have a friend who is interested in building up an M-54 convoy escort
truck
> and is researching all manner of stuff. One question he asked was if
> anybody in the U.S. has done this already and I did not know.
>
> So, does anybody know of such a project or any reasons why a person would
> not want to take on this challenge? We are aware that they are big, heavy
> and suck gas like you own your own well, but beyond that.......

We have a number of M54 gassers out at the farm, and bought the "Gun Trucks"
book with the aim of converting one over for film and TV - possibly
utilizing a stripped M113 hull like they did on some of them - but not
necessarily.

I don't know of anyone who's actually *built* one from diagrams and wartime
photographs, but I do know that one of the M54's was repatriated to the U.S.
after its Southeast Asia service, and now sits as part of a public
collection somewhere. I can look up the title of the book and info
concrerning the whereabouts of the Gun Truck if anyone's interested, but as
all that stuff's at work, it won't be until Monday. They all had names, of
course, like "Dragon Lady" and "Ace of Spades" etc., and I believe the
preserved one sported the name "Eve of Destruction".

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.