It broke down part 3

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 01:27:54 PST

Chance

> But...wouldn't the coolant pouring out of such a hole be blatantly obvious
> even when you first started the thing up?

Nope, it happened on the way BACK to town. Do remember that the engine
in a Greyhound is in the rear of the vehicle and that when you are
inside driving all you get to hear is a cacophany of drive train
noises.

> It had to have blown out on the
> road - probably because it hadn't been seated properly and 'popped' when
> your coolant pressure came up.

That's my theory too.

> IMPORTANT: Do not skip steps!
> Step 44: Is it running hot? (if Yes, go to step 56.)
> Step 56: Real hot? (If Yes, go to step 94)
> Step 94: Is there a parade coming up? (If Yes, go to step 316)
> Step 316: Coolant leak. Pull power pack.
>
> Heh. Only surprise is that there isn't a little sticker on that sucker
> saying "Made in U.K."
>
> chance ("Buy British and see the World! One garage at a time.")

Good one! Even the English don't have a monopoly on putting perishable
items in an inaccesible location. Reminds me of a 1965 Holden I had,
engine based on a Chev straight 6. The welsh plug in the bell housing
started leaking as did the rear main bearing oil seal, how I found
out was when the starter motor packed it in and I pulled it. "Whats all
this white gell stuff?" Amazing how pure white, black oil and water
become when thrashed by a flywheel. Make a good butter churn in there.

Result = visit the wreckers and buy a 2nd hand starter, visit the
Holden dealer and buy a pan gasket and rear oil seal kit, visit the
independant parts store and buy a set of BRASS welsh plugs (Holden
won't sell them as they are not "original"). Pull engine and fit all.
Before anyone says anything - the thermostat housing is alloy and is
sacrifical for corrosion purposes, you don't need the welsh plugs
to corrode too.

Same engine design different car, out in the middle of nowhere, pulled
out to overtake a car and blew the fibre timing cog. There is no way
you are going to jerry rig something to get you home as all the teeth
disappear into the sump, not just some of them. Waited 2 1/2 hours
to get towed back to civilisation. Holden says that fibre ones are the
only ones made (bulls*t!), so I made some enquiries and discovered that
this model engine is notorious for blowing fibre cogs and anyone in
the know puts in an alloy one so that they won't get stranded; a friend
got onto an after market alloy one and that went in, actually, it was
cheaper than the genuine fibre one. I can do without
stupid fibre cogs in the Australian outback in summer.

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au