Re: Restoring a C-47 was Blame the Irish

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 12:03:41 PST

Hi Maurizio and list(s),

While I'm not a pilot, I do have my A&P Mechanics licences. Restoring a
C-47 would be a fascinating and rewarding project. Let me know if you
pilot types ever find one (and decide to work on it somewhere near the
Southern California region).

On a less theoretical subject...

The '42 GPW script has a new home locally with Deryk Walker (Last outpost
of the British Empire), 2nd Carryall went cross country to Virginia, the
3rd Carryall will head out to Texas Saturday. The Mule will go to Arizona
on Monday. Last night I organized the "shop". The keeper 1942 WC53
Carryall has been moved to the middle of the garage, ready for restoration.

A wise manager once told me one should go public with ones goals. It
forces you to live up to them. So...

I have done the math (and padded the numbers for Murphy's sake). I'm
looking at about 200 hours of work to finish my restoration. I plan to
have the Carryall done for Memorial Day (May 28th). To fit 200 hours in
between now and then I need to put in two hours each weeknight, and eight
hours each Saturday. (Sundays off for Marriage Maintenance.)

While I can't offer anything as entertaining as Tim's Scout Car Report, I
would like to post my progress to the list(s). A daily report if
possible. A little accounting hanging over me to help me get out to the
garage when I'd rather sit and watch TV.

Thanks,

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall

P.S. Maurizio, I'm going to have to pass on the volt meter switches for
now. I had a chance to look at the one in the Carryall last night and it
looks like the right one... doesn't work, but wiring on this rig is iffy
at best. I would appreciate knowing who you do sell them to so I could buy
one from them if needed. (If your buyer doesn't mind of course.) Thanks!