Re: [MV] military motorcycles

From: John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 15:50:36 PST

Tim,
        Canada was supplied profusely with the Indian Model 640B, in almost
complete civilian garb. The US made use of the Indian 340B, 640B
and 841, although not after 1943 in great quantities. Canada also bought
some 741's from Indian, and this would be the easiest one to find in basket
case condition. Have a look at my website, which is all about the Indian in
WWII. http://www.astory.com/motorcycle/warpath
The last 640 we brokered cost $12,500 and needed fairly extensive work to
make it back into military. A 741 basket case can be picked up for around
$5000, but you will have a hard time finding the parts for it. Any Indian
is a hard one to work on. I sell some original and reproduction parts for
the 741, and also sell the new reprint of the 741 manual, which is TM
10-1485 dated 1943.