Re: [MV] M35 Shift pattern...

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 05:00:15 PST

The shift pattern exists due to the fact the transmission is an overdrive in
5th gear transmission. A non overdrive tranny is normally direct in top
gear, top gear being where you see fourth in the diagram you wrote. The
short and simple is overdrive trannys have the last two gears reversed.
Overdrive on an M-35 series truck allows lower numerical gear ratios in the
lower tranny gears for better off road performance and still have a decent
highway speed.

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com