Ammo Can Questions

From: DANIEL PARMLEY JR. (artillerydan@prodigy.net)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 10:08:11 PST

Hello all,

OK, I have been trying to confirm the use of two US WWII ammo cans. Pictures
could tell a thousand words but I have no pictures at this time.

1.
CHEST, AMMUNITION
CAL. 50, M17
D39091

This is the side opening .50 can that is rivited together, Hindged the same
direction as the sytandard WWII .50 can. Has either a leather or canvass
handle on top. Small hasp on the front for closeure.

2.
(Embosed on the can)
AMMUNITION CHEST
CAL. .30

Similar to a WWII 30 can except it is not hindged and is a little longer. It
has two rotory locking devices on the ends to close the can tight. Has the
ordenance bomb embosed on the end.

I assume I know what they are correct for, but thouoght I would through it
out two the learned for a definite answer.

Dan Parmley Jr.
Tactical Vehicle Depot
1951 M37 (USMC)
196? M101A1 Tlr (USMC)