Re: [MV] COMBATT Truck Article

From: John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 11:34:19 PST

>The best part for us, other than saving the taxpayers money (or at least
>give lip service to it) is that "An innovative and cost-saving twist to the
>plan is that the Army would lease the beefed-up trucks from various auto
>companies for three to four years,

READ: "The best part of this is that we offer the option of placing
corporate American Auto Producers on welfare for the next few rough years as
the economy adjusts itself"

Would you want to go to war in a rented vehicle?

Barbs aside, I suppose that if vehicles are going to be used for limited
duties around bases, getting less mileage than a well used tactical truck,
then they would have higher resale value than the trucks coming out right
now. But then again, why should the Army let the manufacturers take the
profit of the vehicles after the service life is up? Why not take it for
itself?