Mystery WWII Dodge WC

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 18:41:12 PST

Dear WC/Command Car Experts - HELP

I have found a hulk which is barely restorable on my ranch in south
Texas. I had forgotten that it was there till today when I went driving
through the 'Junk Yard'. I remember now that we called it the command
car when we were kids. No paperwork exists on the vehicle that I know of
so here is a description. Any educated guesses would be appreciated.

Hood is flat on top and hinged in the middle. Sides of each hood half
are also hinged with two spring loaded hold down levers mounted fore and
aft on each side.

Grill guard protects two bullet shaped headlights mounted onto widely
flaring fenders with two small service lights mounted next to them.

Six cylinder flathead engine with spark plugs mounted close to each
other in three pairs. Four cell battery mounted in engine compartment
toward the front on the drivers side. Single bbl carter carb mounted on
passenger side of engine. Intake and exhaust manifolds are siamesed on
passenger side. As you face the firewall from the front of the vehicle,
there is an electrical connector block which had eleven terminals in a
circle mounted to the upper right hand corner of the firewall. Below the
connector block appears to be a metal fuel filter housing. To the left
of the block there is a six inch wide, three inch tall and six inch deep
electrical apparatus which extends into the passenger compartment and
has an Autolite tag with 40 and other numbers on it. The generator is
mounted on the drivers side of the engine.

The body is minimal. The wind shield, both doors, the cab top and
everything aft of the seats is missing. A wooden pick up body was
crafted out of 2x4s and bolted to the frame. The drivers side running
board is indented for the door mounted spare tire arrangement. There is
gas can holder mounted athwartthe forward part of the passenger side
running board.

There is a three spoke steering wheel with horn button in the middle.
The dash is laid out as follows. To the left of the steering column
there were four data plates at one time. Two were about 5" wide and 1
1/2" tall placed side by side with two others directly above them, 5"
wide by about 2 1/2" tall. To the right of the steering column there are
five gagues: Amps, Oil Pressure (small) Speedometer/Odometer (large) and
Fuel, and Water Temperature (small. There is a small instrument light
above the Amps and Oil Pressure agues and another one above the
Speedometer. There is a row of six evenly spaced pull cable controls
under the instruments.

The shift lever has two angles in it and there is a slot to the left of
the shifter with nothing protruding from it. To the right of the shifter
there are two slots. From the inboard one a button release parking brake
handle sprouts. The outboard shot has a plain lever protruding from it
with a "Billy Club" style handle on top.

The tires are ND Goodyears, 9.00 - 16. The wheels are five lug split rim
design and have the following markings: Budd Wheel Patents 1721313 and
then the numbers 94 and 95. 90 degrees around the wheel appears "44380"
and 90 degrees more "4" appears. The rims have a large offset.

Unfortunately the only data plate is a small one on the glove
compartment door on the passenger side of the dash and it is so rusted
that it is un readeable. It is held on with two brass rivets in the
middle of the ends.

The only tag with a readeable number in an oval metal tag mounted with
two slotted head sheet metal screws to the top of the firewall where the
after lip of the hood rests. The tag appears to be aluminum or
galvanised steeel and has been machine stamped "4290 - 21239".

What have I got here (aside from a colosal restoration project)?

TIA
Mel Miller
2 X M725