Re: [MV] Mystery WWII Dodge WC

From: 2Roses (2roses@swipnet.se)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 07:12:30 PST

Hi Mel and List,

Everything (almost everything, because during the years a lot of things were removed, altered or added to fit a special purpose in the line of agricultural needs, lumber handling etc) fits the description of a WW2 DODGE 3/4 ton truck. The engine is a "T214" - your detailed desciption makes this very clear.

The same basic koncept was used to creat various types of this 3/4 ton truck: Weapon Carrier, Ambulance, Command Car, Carry-All, etc.

You wrote:
-----------------
"The body is minimal. The wind shield, both doors, the cab top and
everything aft of the seats is missing."
Since You wrote "the seats" I understand there are two separated seats behind the dashboard, for driver and passenger. So, it can't be a Command Car (fitted with a "coach" and no single seats) and nothing else than a Weapon Carrier - provided you exclude a Gun Motor Carriage or a Emergency repair vehicle (so rare to find that the chances are almost non excisting) and that the body is uncut.

Finally, if the front bumber is in one pice, stretching over the full width of the vehicle, it's a Dodge Weapon Carrier WC-51 (no winch) and if the front bumber is divided in two halfes, with a space left open in the middle for housing the winch, it's a WC-52.

A vehicle in this condition can only be cannibalized for spares and I don't think it would be worth the efforts nor the cost to start ar restoration - Weapon Carriers are rather cheap to buy over here and they are still around, but not at all to the same exctent as for a couple of years ago.

I'm not an expert, but I've restored one WC-52 to its original condition (four years of hard work and now resting in a private museum abroad) and I've helped restoring some others. I have one Command Car resting in a barn and I wonder if I ever would find the time to deal with that one - my wife just simply descided to limit the time I have on my own nowdays........ For special occasions I take out my restored M38A1 and just enjoy a quick ride in the sun.............limited time, you know!

Well, maybe some other List member will present another opinion, from another point of view, but from were I stand that's what I think about your hulk.

Best regards

Karl
Sweden