Dream M-37

From: lou (lou@frontier.net)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 12:37:54 PST

Even in a small town you occasionally see something that's one of a kind.
Saw an M-37 running around town that looked awfully good. Nice desert tan
paint job, new soft top, and new vinylized cargo cover. I thought nice
frame up restoration, boy was I surprised.

Tracked him down at the gas station and got a closer look. Not restored but
remanufactured! Turns out the fellow driving it owns a custom auto
manufacturing business and he got a contract to remake 20 M-37's for a
foreign defense force that doesn't like the humvee. He built 21 and keep
one for himself! His has a 1953 frame but most of the rest is NOS. Said he
imported a lot of parts from Greece for the job.

Performance: How's 65 mph all day long with the engine turning 2200 RPM.
Its a GMC 360 truck engine followed by the 5 speed overdrive tranny that
Dodge currently uses in the Cummins powered pickup trucks. Said he altered
the front axle camber so the power streering would track at any speed with
the 11.00 x 16 tires off a USMC 8 wheeled assult vehicle that he put on it
( I thought it looked a bit different from M-37's I've seen - must have been
the tires).

Comfort: How about an air conditioned M-37. The 20 he shipped were for
service in the desert. Custom fan shroud and a slightly lengthened frame.
Also a second floor pan with about an inch and a half of insulation
sandwiched in. Said with the windows up you really can't hear any engine,
drivetrain or road noise.

I doubt that I could dream a better MV! Will try for pictures when he comes
back to town in April.

Regards Lou