Re: LIST[MV] Just purchased M1009

From: Jaime Ponce de Leon (jaimepdl@elp.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 20:20:13 PST

When we got our 1009 donated, it had been sitting for 4 years, in fact, they
didnt even start it before giving it to us, they used a winch to load it
onto a trailer, and then we had left it where they dropped it off, wqhen we
went to start it to see how it ran, the exact same problem happened to us.
Our fix:
1 drop fuel tank, empty fuel.
2 replace fuel filter, ran compressed air thru fuel pump
3 put 1 gallon of fuel in the truck and started it to run it thru the
system.
4 replaced all replaceable filters
5 replaced glow plugs
6 replaced starter (the old needed replacing, they even gave us a NOS one)
7 put everything back together (still have 1 bolt left over, no clue from
where)
8 Started truck, and put it into service as our new search and rescue truck,
and have no problems (except when we rolled it onto its side)

A few other things to remember.
1 the entire electrical system is 12 volt, except for the starter.
2 do not plug $1200 emergancy lightbar into 24 volt starter circut. (oops)
3 if it has radio power feeds, those are 24 volt too.
4 all lights are 12 volts, including headlight (we pluged in a 24 volt
headlight to replace the burnt out one... why was it so dim?)

Good luck on your purchase!