WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #7 (Or, Hail to the Impact Driver)

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 07:52:44 PST

In yesterday's post I speculated on the possibility of the Carryall being
tired, or perhaps biding its time. It WAS biding its time.

Rear window removal was next on the list. Gordon has an excellent
description of the process at:

http://www.gwim2.free-online.co.uk/carryal4.htm

Gordon's method details how to take things apart if the winder mechanism is
seized, but fortunately for me the mechanisms on my truck still turn freely.

My difficulty lay in removing all the screws that held the window box
together and the winder mechanism to the box.

Most of these screws didn't want to come out, and the ones across the
bottom, where water visited and stayed every time it rained, wouldn't
budge. The truck HAD me. But, the truck was built in the 40's and had not
kept up with the latest technology.

Behold, the IMPACT DRIVER! I removed this little tool from the Sears
packaging and found the right slotted blade tip for it. Took a hammer and,
with some uncomfortable contortions of my body, got in a position to
actually hit the impact driver. It worked. I continued happily for the
rest of my shift and left the truck with only one window assembly to
go. (The heads broke off three of the lower screws, but considering the
number I pulled out, it wasn't a bad ratio.)

Mechanics tip for the post #1: Get an impact driver.
Mechanics tip #2: Roll the windows up before you pound on the housing
structure. (Yes, I managed to think of that one before I broke any
windows. In fact, the only one left in is the broken one, so I managed to
get all the good glass out of the thing without breaking any.

We'll see how re-assembly goes.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA