(Not so) New to the List

From: Tim Scherrer (soldierboy440@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 10:55:09 PST

Hello to everyone,

I am Tim A. Scherrer, and I was a member of the list a
few years back. I've been off for a while but decided
to get back on now that time permits a little more
than it did before. I've done a move and job change
and hope to get back into MV's again. I did manage to
attend the MVPA convention last August, but I had a
very bored date, so I didn't spend a lot of time
there. OK, lesson learned, don't date a disinterested
date to the MVPA convention.

I am an Army Reserve Captain, and I teach Military
Science at the University of Missouri-Columbia. I
teach the freshmen level Military Science classes. I
am also doing doctoral study at Mizzou in History. I
live in Columbia, MO. I used to live in Kirksville,
MO and work at Truman State University for those of
you who remember me from earlier.

I've been a WWII reenactor since 1983, starting with
6th Cav, and then 11th Panzer, which I am still a
member. I have also done Air Corps Reenacting, most
notably at the 50th Anniversary VE Day celebration in
KC in 1995.

As for MV projects, I have two. The first is '42 GPW,
#48315. It's one of the last script GPWs. The
project is still at my mechincs house, hopefully
moving it to Columbia this summer in running form, to
start body work (if anyone remembers, this is where it
stood before I moved, so not much has happened since
99). The project has a mismatched Volvo 60s era
flathead that bolts right up. The body on it is
basically there but many of the doodads on it were
removed (handles, footman loops, etc). The data
plates were missing when I got it, but based upon G503
it was probably made 15 July 42. A GPW fifteen after
mine was made on that date, so it seems logical for it
to be as sell. I intend to sand on the hood and see
what the real serial was.

My second project is also stalled but still alive. It
is a 41 Chevy 1.5 ton cargo truck, without the winch.
You can see it at:

http://members.nbci.com/remlr/6x6/mmchev.htm

I lost my storage for the truck so it is outside now.
This is what I wrote about it earlier:

What I found is basically an unchanged truck with very
few modifications. The only significant change he made
was the application of turn signals, and
     painting of the empty weight on the side. All the
brackets are still in the cab, and a couple tools were
located in the tool box still. The data plates were
     all original, and you could still read some of
the 11th Armored Division markings on the tailgate.

     As for repairs, the truck needs the transmission
and trany rebuilt. The replacement engine is not in
bad shape, but the fuel and brake lines all need
     significant work. Body wise, it is in pretty good
shape, with the bow bracket support holes rusting out
near the bottom. Other than that, it is pretty sound,
     and it mainly requires labor to restore. The
original engine requires complete rebuilding, but I'll
save that for several years later. I retrieved the
vehicle
     on MLK Day, 1998 and placed it in heated storage.
She is waiting for the completion of my GPW
restoration project before I touched this one. She is
     fine example of an early Chevy 1½ tonner, and I
am proud to have saved her from rusting away in a
field.

(OK it's now back in a field rusting away again).

I am debating selling the ton and a half if I can;t
secure storage within the next year. I love the truck
but it will have to sit for a little while longer
until I can get my jeep going.

If anyone is in the Mid-Missouri area and wants to get
together to talk WWII vehicles, drop me a line.

Tim