Re: [MV] Got my M34 Home!

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 14:32:14 PST

Mark, congratulations on getting your truck! The inside of the driver's door
should have a label that says "hearing protection required" It is a good
idea to use at least plugs. Some of the guys in my old unit used earmuff type
protectors, like we use at the firing range. The downside is that you can't
hear horns, sirens, civilians yelling at you that your truck is too loud,
your partner's criticism of your shifting and clutch control, etc.

The noise you hear is probably normal. Is there another truck nearby that
you can compare it to? The turbo definitely makes a high-pitched noise.
Those in the know call them "whistlers" and they are the more desirable
engines to collectors.

The shift pattern is wierd, but is quickly learnable. The experts recently
explained to the rest of us that the overdrive gear arrangement is the reason
for 4th and 5th being in the "wrong" places.

With a little practice, you'll be able to amaze your friends, by shifting up
and down, without using the clutch at all. It's a great conversation starter.
 (As if the truck itself isn't enough!)

Good luck, and if you need any more encouragement or advice, this list is
the best place to hang out. Truly a very supportive group. A. P. B.