Re: [MV] Russian motorcycles

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 19:28:38 PST

Hi George,

    First things first, I own a 1998 overhead valve version of the bike your
referring to. I purchased it through a local dealer here in NH. The problem
as I understand it is the Chang Jiang 750 doesn't meet US EPA?DOT Specs. The
US importer of the IMZ (formerly called the Ural) motorcycle had to change
the windshield, lights, carburetors. Add solid state ignition, mine has the
type one solid state ignition with all parts on the circuit board in the
open which makes it easily reparable unlike the later type 2 & 3 which the
Russians learned to seal in plastic to prevent water related shorts. The
problem you would have as I see it is using the entire kit. If you buy the
kit I would keep looking for an original frame for the bike which if over 25
years old would qualify as an antique. Failing this course of action go to
the US importer of Urals http://www.ural.com/ and click on "Technical
support and chat" sign in with a user name and password (it's free) and the
list will come up where you can acquire all sorts of info direct from owners
and the importer. There are even people on the list that own CJ's.

Best of luck.

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 Tourist