Another M38A1 found

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 07:31:45 PST

I've recently found the elusive wild goose at the end of a very long and
adventurous chase. Several different people had told me that they knew of
this particular jeep, they just couldn't be specific about where it was
located.

North Alabama has a rural road system that makes a drunken spider's web look
logical. And the numbering system is similar. And to add to the confusion,
most people around here ignore the 911 numbering scheme and still tell you
the old rural route number, or 'the turn past uncle Bob's old barn that
burned a few years ago'. So, following up on a 'good solid lead' can be
quite invigorating, frustrating, and sometimes comical. One little old lady
insisted that I have a soft drink with her on her front porch before she
would give me the directions. Seems that she'd outlived all her family, and
didn't get much company any more. She could literally have been one that
could 'talk the horns off of a billy goat'. It took me two hours to get
told that I was about a hundred yards away from the jeep. She had been
looking at it for years out her back window, across a pasture.

Any way, I finally found it. And further more, I found out that I had known
the owner for several years! He just hadn't ever thought of mentioning it.
It was at a mechanics house, that had given up on it, and had never been
brought back home. Go figure.

I've added some initial photos in my MIL VEH found album. People don't like
a stranger prowling around too much on the first visit. I'll get better
pictures when I return to pick it up.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1049067&a=9861138&f=0

Enjoy,

John Doherty