Sound Proofing on an Deuce/5 Ton

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 09:25:02 PST

While floor mats will help reduce some drive train noise, which is plentiful; seems to me that the bulk of the noise comes from the exhaust which, on a turbo model, dumps just outside the passenger side window.  Keeping the passenger window closed goes a long way to reducing noise, but it is still way higher than comfort levels would dictate.

On a long drive, a friend and I used my portable aircraft intercom system and David Clark headsets to provide reliable communication as well as protect our hearing.  Unfortunately, the noise level is so high, the voice activated system stayed keyed unless squelch was really turned up and that restricted the ability to communicate.  We typically had the passenger side set up with a push to talk switch which helped.

Bottomline, a deuce or five ton with the exhaust two feet from the window is going to be LOUD, short of installing a muffler.

Jim