Jack Tomlin- update

From: John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 18:27:07 PST

I had asked for details about Jack, and this was the best description I got.
The author wished to remain anonymous, but I think it gives good information
for those who wondered, and perhaps a bit more detail. I spoke to Jack once
over the phone about some things he had, and he seemed nice.

I think it pertains to us as HMV collectors because image is everything in
our new society, it sounds like Jack should have known better, and it will
take 2000 good deeds to soften the memory of this one from the press,
politicians, and popular America's mind. Even if it was an overzealous
deputy, it is still his responsibility to carry out the enforcement duties
he is appointed to perform, and it was Jack's duty to follow the laws as
written regards his cargo. My opinion is that it is an object lesson to us
in public relations, the advantages of paying careful attention to the laws
out there, and how things can go from bad to worse in the blink of an eye.
Like my old team sergeant said to me- "No matter where you go, some one is
going to be watching you."

I have reprinted the message I received below and edited it only to remove
references to the name of the author.

Anyway, this incident happened a few months ago and the final stop was just
about 10 miles away from where I live so it made headlines for a few days.
Naturally, I take everything I read in the newspapers with a grain of salt
as
they are
not the most reliable sources, but, after reading a few articles and talking
to a few local deputies including an Army Reserve SgtMaj who is on the
Sheriff's bomb squad, I offer the following:

Jack purchased a trailer load of items from a private disposal site. This
site was under observation by a federal agency (the name changes several
times).
Federal agents following Jack as he left the location N/B on IS15 over the
Cajon Pass on his way back to Utah. They apparently became concerned as
they
had some idea of what kind of material he was hauling, that the trailer was
not marked (warning signs, etc.) and that he was driving in a mountain pass
at 75mph (55mph zone for trucks/trailers) So they called the Highway patrol
and Sheriff for assistance.

When the highway patrol discovered the cargo contained explosives they
removed the vehicles from the freeway and turned it over to the county bomb
squad. Jack did not have any paperwork.
The thing that screwed him is that when the investigators contacted the
people he had purchased the items from they stated, in essence, "We never
heard of anyone named Jack Tomlin and don't know what you're talking about!"

The Federal guys backed off real quick and left the county holing the bag.

Jack was described (correctly) in the news as a military vehicle collector
and they also gave his reasons for possessing the material (also correct)
and the fact that he did not have any documentation (as required) for
hauling
a hazardous load.

Never was he described as any kind of fanatic or terrorist by the law
enforcement officers or the media.

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com