RE: [MV] new question

From: Joe Garrett (j.garrett@gte.net)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 13:07:00 PST

Dan,

You have gotten several very good explanations of the term "multifuel". In
the context of your original question, though, the term refers to a six
cylinder inline diesel engine of 478 cubic inch displacement. They were
manufactured by White, Hercules and Continental.

They have been used extensively in M35A2 (and M44 chassis variants) series 2
1/2 ton trucks and in M54A2 (and variants) series 5 ton trucks. They come
in three varieties; normally aspirated (LD465-1), turbo (LDT465-1C and D),
and the LDS-465-1A version your friend has that gets about 45 more
hosrepower by virtue of a bigger turbocharger.

As to what they are worth, I have a complete, running non-turbo engine I
paid $300 for. I paid $2500 for a nearly new LDT465 turbo engine with
tranny. That is about the range for these beasts. The LDS version your
friend has is worth more than the other two versions because of the high
horsepower rating, although the blocks and heads are interchangeable.

I bought an entire truck once because I thought it had an LDS version engine
in it. The original engine data plate said it was an LDS465-1A. Once I got
home, I discovered a rebuild plate elsewhere on the engine indicating it had
been rebuilt into an LDT465-1C. I was only mildly disappointed, since it
was a nice truck, but I wouldn't have bought it if I had known.

I have a 5 ton truck with the LDS465-1A engine, and because of the
additional weight of the truck, you can't tell the difference in the HP
output. I can only immagine, though, how that engine would perform in one
of my deuces.

Joe Garrett
cell 425-344-1402
Please note my new email address is