Re: [MV] new question

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 22:35:26 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Garrett" <j.garrett@gte.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] new question

> You have gotten several very good explanations of the term "multifuel".
In
> the context of your original question, though, the term refers to a six
> cylinder inline diesel engine of 478 cubic inch displacement. They were
> manufactured by White, Hercules and Continental.

That is not strictly true, the question was:

<< Can someone define the term MULTIFUEL? I think I know what it
 means but I need something in print to show someone else. >>

Therefore the answer must be: an engine capable of running normally on 2 or
more different fuels or combustible liquids with no preparation.

Being more specific the statement "the term refers to a six cylinder inline
diesel engine of 478 cubic inch displacement" is misleading since there are
other designed multifuel engines around apart from the specific one
mentioned.

For instance the RR K60 in the FV 432 and FV 433, a three cylinder, Junkers
type opposed piston, two stroke(cycle) CI engine with mechanical scavenging.

The entirely similar and scaled down (1 litre) RR H 30 auxiliary engine of
the FV4201 Chieftain MBT and of course the FV 4201 Leyland L60 main engine
itself of 19 litres displacement, another Junkers type opposed piston, 6
cylinder (12 piston) CI two stroke with external mechanical scavenging.

These engines have no problems with fuel compensators or the like and will
happily run unprepared on virtually anything or combination of common
combustible liquids although normalised for regular diesel. Those lucky
enough to have the facilities for operating heavy armour here can and do
find an endless supply of free fuel from the large, national breakdown
companies who are daily attending motorists who have inadvertently put
petrol (gas) in a diesel car or vice versa, owing to the nit-picking
regulations the controlled official disposal of this otherwise useless
petrol/diesel mixture is unbelievably expensive and they are overjoyed that
someone will cart it off for free in 50 UK gallon drums. This is extremely
handy if you have a FV 4201 barely managing 2 GPM.

Richard
Southampton - England