Re: [MV] trailer laws - now MV Movers discussion

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 11:44:48 PST

I disagree with the notion that it is not that hard to get a CDL.

As has been pointed out on this list, in order to get a CDL, you have to
be
tested in the same type of vehicle that you want to get certified for.
So

You have to have access to such a vehicle.
You have to have some skills in the same type of vehicle, but you can't
legally
drive this vehicle and obtain the skills unless you have a license and
access to
such a vehicle. You can go to a driving school $$$$$.

On the other hand, I could go out and buy a tractor, put farm plates on
it,
drive it a few hundred miles down country roads and get the hang of it,
drive
the tractor to the CDL certification site and then get a CDL, if it is
required.?? I agree that driving cross country with a semi rig plated
as a
farm vehicle would probably be asking for it however I wonder how often
it is
done also.

You do not have to own a farm to get a vehicle plated as a farm
vehicle. A farm
does not have to be incorporated, so there is really no definition for
what a
farm is. Many farms around here also don't make any money, so again I
fit the
definition. (:->) I also own two farm tractors, but again I don't have
farm. I do have a garden.

>If it is manufactured as a tractor, and/or has a fifth wheel you need a
Class A CDL.<
Nope, not true. Farm vehicles and the operators of farm vehicles are
expressly
exempted from requiring CDLs. It's right in the Federal Code. Also, a
lot of
Pickup trucks have fifth wheels and they also are not required to have a
CDL to
operate.

>But you still must be qualified to
drive what you are using even if it is just for your own personal use.<

While I agree that everyone "should" be qualified to drive whatever
vehicle they
are in, even a 16 year old kid with a brand new license is fully legally
qualified to drive a 1 ton pickup truck with a 40 foot fifth wheel
camper behind
it. What the law says, and what is common sense is often two different
things.

Dave