M-35 Diesel engine question

From: Dave (b52d@southwind.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 13:05:02 PST

My friend and I were looking over some trucks at a DRMO site today and found
a really nice one except for one small problem. The engine shutoff handle
would not pull out. We checked the cable, unhooking it down at the cutoff
slide/lever/actuator/doomahickything and the cable and handle move freely.
So the problem seems to be the cutoff mechanism itself.

Now what we were wondering is if this could possibly be rapped on slightly
with a rubber mallet or something in order to free it up? Or would this
introduce a whole host of other problems?

My friend, who is not on the list, wants to bid and hopefully win and take
home this one particular truck, plus I can not convince him to not drive it
the 125 miles to home.

I know there are other ways to stop the engine, like smother it at the
intake, but I think it would be better to fix this if possible.

I did talk him into buying the operators manual and the lube charts and
basic maintenance manual 10-3 I believe, but I could not find anything in it
about the engine cut off if it stuck.

Any advice would be appreciated and I will pass it on to the friend.

Many, many thanks......

David & Donna Brubaker
Member MVPA
M-151A2