Re: [MV] runaways

From: Joe Shannon (fordpart@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 17:28:09 PST

Allow me to get up on my stump:
    The throttle on a gas engine controls a butterfly valve which in turn
allows or limits the amount of air entering the engine. The amount of fuel is
then metered by a venturi system in the carburetor (late model gas fuel
injection requires another speech). On a diesel or compression ignition
engine the air intake is wide open, no control over this. There are no spark
plugs, the fuel fires when it suddenly reaches about 400 pounds of
compression. The speed and the shut off of the engine is controlled by
directly controlling how much fuel is injected into the combustion chamber
and to turn the engine off you simply turn off the fuel unlike the gas engine
where you turn off the spark.
    Now as to run away. It can be caused by a faulty pump but this is very
unlikely. Almost all runaway diesels are caused by burning the oil out of the
crankcase. This can happen through a turbo charger seal (most likely) or by
burning blowby (very likely in detroit brand engines). Let's say a turbo seal
begins to leak the exhaust side of a turbocharger operates anywhere from 500
to 1200 degrees normally the compression side is not this hot but it is still
warm enough and the impeller is spinning fast enough to send this oil in to
the engine at a vapor. The engine starts to run on this and keeps building
speed until parts fly everywhere.
    At this point you could knock the injector pump off with a sledge hammer
and ship it to egypt the motor will keep running on the oil until it either
locks up or flys apart.
    The only way to stop a runaway without damage is:
    1 block air intake which could cause hand damage
    2 keep it in gear and stand on the brakes which could cause drive train
damage

That's al I have to say about that.

Joe Shannon
Hampshire Tennessee