German SEM-25 radio vehicular installations

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 00:28:41 PST

Aside from playing with green trucks, I also collect mil surplus
radios. That's actually how I got interested in mil vehicles: my
collection consists mostly of US vehiclular radios, so I obviously
needed some trucks in which to mount them! Please don't bring up the
fact that most of my radios were from the 1950s, but I started buying
trucks from the 1970s and 1980s, and then had to buy new radios to go
in those trucks, and of course I'll eventually need to buy some old
trucks to go along with the radios which kindled my interest in mil
vehicles in the first place... if you have to ask, you wouldn't
understand. :-)

So, some of the radios in my collection are 1960s/1970s West German
sets from the SEM-25 family. I have lots of pictures of one of them on
my web page, if you're curious. I'm gradually accumulating various
models, and starting to line up deals to obtain accessories, so
someday I might have enough parts to perform a proper vehicular
installation of one or more of them.

Now, the problem is that I don't have any appropriate trucks in which
to install them. It just wouldn't be right to bolt them into a US
truck. So, I'll obviously need to get at least one appropriate truck
for them someday!

That brings me to my next problem: None of the German trucks which I
know of which might be correct places to install SEM-25 series radios
(such as the Unimog) interest me very much right now. Please don't
take offense if you're a Unimog fan; just consider that there's at
least one more Unimog for YOU to buy, since I don't expect to go
looking for one anytime soon. Unless I suddenly start liking them,
that is. I have been known to instantly flip-flop from "ick" to "gotta
have one NOW" on many occasions. :-)

I think the Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer looks like a very interesting truck.
However, I don't think that a Pinzgauer would be an appropriate truck
in which to mount a SEM-25 series radio set. Does anybody know
otherwise? I believe that the Pinzgauers were made in Austria, and
used in Switzerand. Did the Swiss ever use German SEM-25 series
radios? Alternately, did any other countries use SEM-25 radios mounted
in Pinzgauers? Here's another one: Can anybody confirm any specific
vehicles in which SEM-25 series sets were used, in the military
services of any countries?

Thanks in advance for any information that y'all can provide, or any
other interesting threads that fork off from this question!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/