Re: [MV] HMMWV Radio Joy :)

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 18:53:34 PST

JeepBoy350@aol.com wrote:
> my question is where and how do you mount the cable back trhough the
> rear fender wells and where do you cross over to get to the other
> antenna. I seem to remember having some clips in one of my parts
> boxes.... where do these install and how do they affix... do they go
> on the frame rail?

You mentioned that you have an RT-524 and an R-442A. The AS-1729
antenna for the transceiver mounts on the right rear corner, and the
antenna for the receiver (either an AB-15 ceramic base with an adapter
plate, or the newer base whose number I can never remember) goes on
the left rear corner. There are three cables to route: a thin coaxial
cable to each antenna, and a thicker control cable for the antenna
tuner. All three cables route inside the body along the upper right
edge of the transmission hump, and exit the body through a special
grommet behind the right rear seat. The grommet is split to allow you
to insert the cables, and it has two small holes and one large one to
allow the three cable to pas through. It also has ears with mounting
holes, and it's bolted to the body with those holes and a metal
bracket. Similar grommets with only one or two holes are available for
otehr radios sets, and a similar grommet with one large hole is used
where the powr cable passes through the body. The power cable should
be connected under the body, not in the battery box.

The cables pass through that grommet into the right rear wheel well,
run along the body next to the frame rail, and then the thin cable for
the receiver crosses over to the left side, following the existing
wire harness. The cable is secured with rubber-covered pipe clamps,
screwed into body holes that were drilled at manufacturing time, using
self-tapping sheet metal screws. Where the cables follow the existing
harness, you use the same holes but replace the clamps with larger
ones.

I have some pictures on my web page which might help a little bit.

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck2/p18.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck2/p19.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck2/p20.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the wiring, but I could probably try to
take some later, and post them temporarily.

> ... It would be nice to get an explanation of how to route/affix the
> cables or a diagram/pics somewhere on the net would be even better.

I would happily scan the instructions which came with my installation
kit if I could. However, they look like 100th-generation photocopies
reduced from much larger drawings, and they're barely legible. They
wouldn't be at all useful after being scanned or photocopied again. I
had a heck of a time making any sense out of them, and I'm not really
sure why I even bothered! :-)

> Also... can you use a matching base with the Aux I know its not
> necessary just happens to be what I mounted there.

It would probably work, but you would need to tune it manually for
best results. The correct antenna for the receiver mounts on the same
kind of bracket.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/