Re: [MV] GPW brake question

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 07:00:49 PDT

>Maybe I'm easily confused but the manual doesn't seem real
>clear.......When removing the rear brake drum I removed the axle. Would
>someone please give me the sequence of what comes out next and if there
>are any tricks involved.

Yes, the first thing is take the wheel off then take out the 6 bolts on the
axle flange and pull out the axle shaft. Then you need to bend the lock
washer back over (with hammer and punch or bar of some kind) so you can get
a spindle nut socket on the outer spindle nut. I think it's a 2-3/32"
socket but I'd have to check for sure, they are commonly available at any
truck parts store or truck brake shop or from Snap-On, OTC, MAC or whoever.
With the outer nut off then the lockwasher (which you then throw away) comes
off and then the inner nut, then a keyed flat washer, then the outer bearing
and then the entire hub/drum assembly will pull off. I'm sure once you have
it apart it's going to look pretty simple to you.

Now, speaking of lockwashers. Most everything I have ever worked on has
lockwashers with tabs that you bend over. The MB/GPW and other Willys
models have a solid disk that you bend over. It's a real PIA. So, I made
up a batch of tabbed lockwashers (laser cut) for the Dana 25/23 axles and I
have used them on mine already. Very pleased with the results so far. I am
selling them near cost at $3 each plus perhaps $2 for postage.

Best of luck,

je