Deuce hard top question

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 18:03:01 PDT

Folks,
I have a number of 2 1/2 ton & 5 ton vehicles with the correct military
hardtops.
The rear sliding windows of all of these (but 1) have rounded corners. The
odd one is on my M292A2 expansible van. That hardtop's rear window is a
perfect rectangle...I have wondered about this for a while, and when I looked
at the photos of Wayne Harris's parts truck for sale (seen at:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/PopUpIndex?u=133143&a=12352591&pw=), it
appears to have the rectangular window too.
Does anyone else have this kind of rear window? Do all M292's have this type
window? Any ideas as to why the different kinds?
The "normal" one is the same in the G-742, G-744, G-749, ten ton, and I
believe the M-37 late tops. Obviously the G-749 tops date from the early
50's, and tops are being made today for the military with this type window, a
fifty year span. Why this "odd" window, was it interim. From memory my 292
is a 66 model.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David