Axle Nut socket?? for a 5 tonner - M54

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 11:01:29 PDT

I got one front hub off my M51 dump and did so with the help of my engine crane
(strap around the drum). I couldn't pick the hub and brake drum off the axle
shaft - nothing to hang on to, I like my back.... (Ok, call me a 240 lb
weakling!) I got the axle nuts off with a large pair of channel lock pliers. I
put the hub back on after finding nothing wrong and regreasing the bearings.
Then I looked at the manual (this is the proper procedure - look at the manual
after disassembly :->)) Anyway, the specs on the axle nut torque is 375 ft-lb +-
50 ft lb. Obviously the nut wasn't torqued properly before I removed it!

Does anyone have an Axle Nut socket for sale - the one I need has both 4 3/4 and
4 3/8 opening. I don't think it is humanly possible to put 375 ft-lb of torque
on a nut with a pair of channelocks - no matter how big they are!

Dave