Clean Air Kit on M35 and power loss

From: Henry J. Fackovec (fackovec@radiotech.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 17:28:37 PDT

Hey all:

This afternon, I was out romping thru the magical springtime fields of NH,
with fellow list member ROJOHA, (Actually we were pulling a leaky radiator
from my new M35) and a thought came to me. (I do not get many that do not
involve the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, so please bear with me<G>)

My M109 was a normally aspirated engine when I bought it. The exhaust was
rusted out and rather than put a new normal exhaust system on the truck, I
installed a clean air kit. (1D turbo). I did not do anything else to the
truck.

On driving other deuces, (Both shop van and cargo), I find that they have
considerably more power.

Thinking about what is going on in the engine, I am giving much more air
than was there before, but the same amount of fuel. Would this result in
lower power? (To me it makes sense)

And can it be corrected? Is it a matter of re timing the pump, I notice
there are 3 or 4 different timing marks on the crank pulley.

Does the pump need to be recalibrated?

Thanks in advance, and help is appreciated.

Hank