WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #23 & 24

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 08:20:10 PDT

I had presents waiting for me when I got home from work. Paint from Rapco,
and flexible brake lines from Midwest Military. I considered putting the
brake lines on but thought better of it. There's painting to go yet and
they are bound to get sprayed if mounted on the truck. Friday evening was
spent putting the second primer coat on the parts I do have back from
Western Sandblast. I should pick up the rest of the parts Tuesday afternoon.

Broke out the power washer Saturday and worked over the engine, wheels, and
frame. I had an unpleasant surprise when I pulled the Carryall out of the
garage. Turns out the rear fenders, wood floor, windows, and fuel tank all
weighed something and with them gone the truck set a bit higher on the
springs. Just enough to put a good scare in me and a cut in the rubber
molding on the top of the garage door.

It was the first time I had the Carryall out of the garage in a while, so I
took the opportunity to power wash the garage floor before it went back
in. I took a break for a couple hours while the big fans dried things out.

The evening was spent building a plastic Carryall "tent" for the upcoming
stripping. I used "Peel Away 7" on my last project, which does a good job,
taking off the first three to four layers of paint and leaving the rest
pretty soft. I then used a right angle grinder with a grey de-burring
wheel on it to remove the rest of the paint and leave a nice, buffed metal
finish for primer coat. I was real happy with the results except I'm still
cleaning dust out of the garage. I had put a plastic "curtain" around the
truck, but dust still got through the open rafters of the garage. So this
time I did a bigger version of my paint booth.

I connected two 10' lengths of 1/2" steel electrical conduit and hung them
from the rafters, just below the level of the florescent lights, but higher
than the garage door rails. I repeated this two more times, so I had a
twenty foot length of conduit three feet off the passenger side of the
truck, another over the center, and the last one three feet over from the
drivers side. Then I draped plastic over the conduit, stapled 2x2 wood
strips to the ends to keep them on the floor, duct taped the seams, and
Presto, one WC53 tent. I'll be using the same box fans I use in my little
paint booth to move air through this setup, we'll see how it works.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall