Re: [MV] New "Guzzikrad" in action photo

From: Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 06:09:27 PDT

Apr 10 2001
Jay
I have seen the Guzzikrads parading in Naples in the 60's! They were used
by the Alpini, mountain troops to defend the Alps Mountain, hence "Alpini".
The hat is peculiar to them. They are recruited locally, near the Alps,
because they know better their country. The Alpini troops date since the
1700's. The Germans in WWII had the same mountain troops called Gebirgsjager.
The 3x3 Guzzikrad was used to move supply and ammo up on the mountains,
also disassembled mountain cannons (usually transported by mules).
It can go in very narrow mountain roads - where no Jeep (or FIAT
Campagnola, the equivalent of the Jeep) can go - by getting the two tracks
closer from 130 cm. (52 inches) to 85 cm. (34 inches).
It can do it, while moving, in about 25 yards... Yes! No kidding!
The engine is a 754 cubic centimeters one, the same capacity as the WLA
Harley-Davidson.
In all a very rare HMV (only about 250 made!).

Regards and
Keep Them Rolling!

Raimondo - MVPA 15878 & IMPS 2320

At 03.51 10/04/01 -0500, JAY wrote:
>Philip,
>Interesting picture, and an interesting machine as well. Do you >know
where the picture came from? My guess is that the rider is >attempting
>to crush the house of the guy standing behind him, most likely >for making
fun of his hat! ;-) I guess the Italians didn't >believe in wearing
helmets, eh? Still, I'd love to have one of >those machines to

Kettenkrad couldn't do this. Check it out on www.kettenkrad.com in the