Re: [MV] Help - Paint for Jeeps

From: Henry J. Fackovec (fackovec@radiotech.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 07:08:37 PDT

Hey all:

Coming from the restoration background, rather than a "Mechanical" or a
"Military" background, I would like to comment on some of the posts on the
thread.

1- Rikk Rogers: thought that GIs would just mix paint up to match their
shirts...

While GIs are very creative and ingenious (Some of the field repairs I have
found on trucks over the years prove this out), they do not have alot of
variance to what paint that they are going to use. If the proper color is
24087, they get the bucket of 24087. As far as I know they do not mix their
own on site, or have it locally made. It come thru the "system". I have a
friend who was VT natl guard during the 60s and he wanted a more glossy look
to his truck, so he added some locally acquired hardener to his can of
paint. after it dried, her was court marshed (or article 15 or something
like that, he had to pay to repaint it correctly and lost a stripe). There
are some very well documented cases of variation on the unit level, but I
feel these are the exception, rather than the rule.

2- Steves comment ">I gaurantee match exactly at least *one* of the
650,000-odd jeeps that were
> built :)"

I agree, given the massive amount of equipment built during the war, and the
many manufacturers of paint, and the varying accuracy in the mixing,
preparation and application of the paint to different surfaces I am sure
there is going to be a wide delta of hues to each color of paint. In
painting parts,I have been careless to mesuure the thinner corectly and
have wound up with very different looks. Remember, I have a interest in the
outcome and am generally carefull, the minimum wage painter at the factory
man have had a hard night before and mixed the paint poorly... I have delt
with many NOS parts both WWII and M series and can point out examples of
color differences that surprised me.

3- John Seits thoughts about color blindness:

I agree many of us are color blind, but there is also a phononomun called
":Chip Scale distortion" (which I fell victim to painting my first halftrack
project.) Basically a small part painted with a color will appear much
darker than a large surface painted with the same paint. Perhaps in our
observations we are comparing apples to oranges (Or in our case, turn
signals to main battle tanks<G>).

4- My thoughts:

One of the pitfalls that restoration people can fall victim to is looking at
a 50 year old vehicle and not being able to see what it would have looked
like rolling out of the factory. Yes they were a utility vehicle, but they
were NEW. Just as a new pick up has a certian air about it when it rolls off
the dealers floor, they jeeps were nre once. As an example go the
Smithsonian (Or any museum) and look at a display of ball gowns. they look
brown with tan lace, or gray green velvet. they look as dead as the people
who wore them as they hang there. When these dresses were new and worn they
were vibrant, they were not mud colored, they were brilliant red, they were
bottle green... when the woman walked into the room people stopped and
looked... perhaps something to think about when doing a factory grade
restoration (No, I am not advocating velvet upholstery!<G>)

Anyway, just some thoughts, Got to get back to work, to pay for another case
of paint <LOL>

Hank Fackovec
Londonderry Ordnance Rebuild Depot