diesel problems with M1009

From: John Fuller (hotrod@mvp.net)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 15:54:46 PDT

Hi list, I need help before the wife divorces me and the M1009. I recently purchased a M1009 with 44,000 that had been sitting for the past 3 years and was driven very little. The unit would start strong, but after a few minutes it would start to lose power and even feel like it was missing out (can a diesel even do that?) and also, it would start smoking somewhat like it was flooding and then it would stop. You can restart, but the unit will have very little power and die after less than a minute.

I have dropped the fuel tank and drained it, cleaned the sock pickup in the bottom of the tank, and changed the fuel filter on the firewall. ( Is this the only fuel filter?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows of a good 6.2 mechanic between St. Louis, MO and Memphis, TN or anyone close to southeast Missouri, please let me know. I suspect the injector pump is bad but I need help. Can a novice mechanic like myself change this pump out?

Thanks John Fuller