M37 fuel problems, update #3 - the beast lives!

From: John Doyle (jdoyle@writeme.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 18:10:14 PDT

The necessary thanks go out first. To everybody
who came up with ideas and suggestions, I owe
ya'll a beer!

The beast lives! It WAS the fuel pump. It just took
it ages to prime. I was just about exasperated with
the whole thing this afternoon when I decided to pull
the tubing between the carb and the fuel pump. Hey!
There's fuel here now?!

One more crank and it fired right up.

To sum it all up:

-I replaced the gasket on the fuel tank. Rubberized cork.
-Blew all the fuel lines out.
-Replaced all the rubber fuel lines.
-Wound up removing the sediment bowl/filter from the firewall.
-Pulled new rubber fuel line over to the fuel pump from
the junction on the left frame.
-Primed the lines with a pump & filled the glass sediment
trap with fuel.

Sounds easier than it really was due to the frustrations introduced
by various, seemingly unrelated issues. Wound up having to charge
the batteries due to the extended cranking over multiple days. Not
much fun there.

Lesson learned:

KISS. (Keep It Simple Stupid). I was compounding my problems
by not breaking it down into the simplest units to attack.

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you guys down in
Atlanta for the "swap meet".

JD